Concrete driveways in any climate need sealing for a variety of reasons, but it’s especially important to use a penetrating sealer on a concrete driveway in freeze-thaw climates like Columbus, Ohio. Here’s why, along with several other reasons that concrete driveways should be sealed:
Freeze-Thaw Cycle Damage
Concrete is a porous material, which means that it easily absorbs liquids. When it’s exposed to freezing temperatures, the expansion of frozen liquids can literally destroy the surface of unsealed concrete, causing it to shift, crack and even buckle. A good penetrating sealer repels water, and helps to prevent these problems.
Oil, salt, and chemical fertilizers also do a number on a concrete driveway, damaging and discoloring it. A penetrating sealer will keep damaging chemicals from seeping into concrete and causing discoloring and stains.
Oxidation from the sun can quickly break down concrete, causing it to age more quickly and to chip, flake or fade. Yet another problem you won’t face if you seal your concrete driveway.
A Few Other Benefits of Using Penetrating Sealer Concrete:
- Increases longevity
- Improves appearance
- Reduces spalling (breaking up or pitting), flaking and cracking
- Provides stain protection
- Resists mold and mildew
Maintaining Your Concrete Driveway:
Like any investment, your concrete driveway needs proper maintenance to keep it performing well and looking great for decades. Here are a few maintenance tips:
- Clean your concrete driveway on occasion to wash away debris and chemicals, and seal it every two years or so (more often if it gets a great deal of vehicle traffic or is regularly exposed to extreme weather).
- Avoid the use of de-icing chemicals, especially in the first year after your driveway is installed and sealed. Use sand as an alternative if your driveway is on a hill and you need traction.
- Treat it with care. Even though concrete is strong, it can still sustain damage from snowplows and shovels scraping its surface or by frequent use by heavy vehicles like dump truck or moving vans, for example.
Have your Columbus, Ohio area concrete driveway sealed by SealMaxx of Columbus. We offer an exclusive two-year warranty on our product, so you can be sure we do everything we can to ensure a superior job! We seal concrete driveways, walkways, patios and more. Call us at (614)488-7325 for a free quote today.
Can We Help You With
Your Concrete Flooring?
Simply fill up the form below and we’ll get back to you within 24 Hours!